|Homemade Roast Pork Belly|
- 600 grams pork belly
- 2-3 tbsps. Five Spice Powder
- rock salt (enough to cover the top part of the meat entirely)
- 2 tbsps. rice wine
- Rub rice wine on the meat part of the belly. Follow it with salt, pepper, and the Five Spice powder.
- Careful not to have any of the powder on the skin part.
- Let the meat sit in the refrigerator skin-side up for at least 4 hours uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (set to "bake"; top and bottom function)
- Take meat out and poke a lot of tiny holes on the skin without getting through to the fat layer. Make sure you've gotten rid of the hairs on the skin. If you find it difficult to poke the skin while raw, you may wait until step 9 to do this.
- Wrap the meat snugly in aluminium foil (skin-side up) leaving the top uncovered. Try to make the foil tray-shaped to avoid the fat spilling out. Leave about half an inch allowance on the height of the foil to accommodate salt.
- Cover the skin entirely with rock salt.
- Put in oven, and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Take meat out of the oven and completely get rid of the rock salt. If you haven't pricked the skin yet, this is the time to do it.
- Set meat on a wire rack and place foil underneath to catch the drippings.
- Put it back into the oven, and "Broil" for 10-15 minutes or until the skin is crackling and crispy.